For someone who's baking skills are self described as 'limited' at best the baking process as a whole went rather smoothly, there were no fires or explosions and the cherry on top of the whole thing, it even tasted pretty good as well.
Initial design ideas, experimenting with various colour schemes and page compositions, essentially blocking out the potential page layouts so I can visualise what my final outcome could look like. Personally I find it easier if I know what confines im working within hence why this simple experimentation was beneficial to me.
Developing my initial ideas further I began incorporation some rudimentary imagery into my page compositions, I had a rough idea as to what I wanted to illustrate and where I wanted to put it but aspects such as the individual compositions and the perspectives within each panel were still up in the air.
These show my design process for a single panel. I began by sketching the two main elements as two individual shots and came up with a rough colour scheme, then I merged the two together and sectioned off where the two intersect. Personally I preferred this layout over just leaving the two as separate boxes. However during my first attempt I didn't like the colour scheme I selected, the green seemed two vibrant and I had originally intended to invert the colours in the area where they intersect but didn't follow through with the idea. This resulted in some inconsistency but never the less I decided to re draw it and altered it into something which, to my eye, looked nicer.
In terms of reference for my work certain panels were almost drawn directly from life references, such as my own hand or cups on the table. Once I had these initial sketches drawn up I would then morph them and began incorporating my own stylistic elements into their look, such as altering the linework and adding more variation into it as well as broadening up the shadows in some areas.
When it came to assembling my final composition I chose the 3:1 aspect ration as the elongated proportions I felt gave me greater opportunities to play around with my overall layout. Personally I like to have some negative space on the outsides of my work so I didn't try to fill every open space on the page, in addition to this by overlaying certain panels it kept everything nicely confined. My main issue with the piece overall is how the colours came out once I scanned in the design, it made them look blown out and over exposed which I could counter by either darkening them with marker or by photographing them in natural light. But with regards to the actual work I'm pleased with how it turned out, I feel its a nice combination of my own personal style incorporated in with the core elements of the brief.
This is my final design for this project and overall I am glad that I decided to redraw it in retrospect, after certain panels were re sized as well as some panels being overplayed on top of each other the overall composition has benefitted in my eye. Personally I really like how the hand goes beyond its own boundaries and bleeds into the space of the panels surrounding it, to me I think this just adds to its chaotic look whilst not disrupting the piece as a whole. In addition to all this I'm glad that I adjusted the colours in photoshop as a pose to just leaving them all naturally lit, by evenly lighting the whole piece it makes it look like a single fluid piece as a pose to multiple pieces all joined together. Of course there are still some things I would like to fix, such as adding in some more transitional shots perhaps just to help the whole thing flow a little easier, but overall I am very pleased with how its turned out.